The latest regarding the 2020 KanJam World Championship
6/25/2020: KanJam World Championship canceled. This is not the news we were hoping to share, but alas we have some clarity.
After putting together a plan to hold a scaled down version of the KanJam World Championship in Buffalo, NY on August 8th, the decision was made to not move forward.
We made every effort to put together a COVID-19 safe event for August 8th, but it just wasn’t meant to be. EastPoint Sports, now the owners of KanJam, have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 KanJam World Championship planned for August 8th due to the recent rise of COVID-19 cases across the country. While it’s not the outcome we had hoped for, we understand and stand by this decision. We are also in agreement to make this tournament bigger and better than ever next year.
As a no-contact, no defense sport, we believe KanJam is one of the safest sports out there. We still encourage everyone to get out there and jam while practicing social distancing. We hope everyone will stay safe during these unprecedented times.
We understand that many of you will be disappointed, as we are, with this latest development. Please reach out to Gregg via email below with any questions.
6/18/2020: Venue approved, passes NY State Guidelines.
6/17/2020: New York has entered Phase 3, and we are just now waiting to hear back from the venue and health department on what capacity limits there will be. We hope to have an announcement soon, and we’re targeting August 8th. More to come!
6/2/2020: Our dream team crew had a meeting and we are putting a plan together. We are still waiting to see what capacity and date we can lock in. As soon as we have it, we will update this page with more details. We will of course be following all state guidelines to ensure a safe and healthy event.
5/6/2020: Given the current situation regarding COVID-19, we made the decision to postpone the 2020 KanJam World Championship for the time being until we have a plan in place.
At this point, date and location is unknown. While we’d love to keep the tradition of having an August tournament, we will need to wait until we get closer to make a decision on an actual date and venue.
One thing we have decided is that the tournament will no longer take place in Richmond, VA this year. This was a tough decision as we already had several months of planning into what was going to be a fantastic weekend, but the reality is we would not be successful in pulling off a tournament of this caliber in a different location in 2020. We apologize to those that did already make plans for it, but we do plan on Richmond for 2021. If we are to have any tournament this year, it will need to come together very quickly, and this will need to be in Buffalo, NY where a majority of our staff, players, and community are located.